2020, The look of love
The theme of the 100% Optical and Royal College of Art (RCA) eyewear design competition for 2020 was Love.
Judges asked students at the college to design a frame that considers Love as a catalyst to the following questions;
- What does the look of love look like?
- How do we use our eyewear to interact with each other ?
- How do you look ?
- How do others see you?
- How do you want to be viewed now and by future lovers?
- How can your frames/ lens help you love life ?
- The students must consider form, materials, lens and the overall packaging of frames.
The competition asked students to design and make a maquette of a new vision device for seduction, for romance and for your heart beat.
The eyewear design could function as a health aid/ protection, as well as a style statement. It is also OK to include new experiences through a viewfinder, device or VR headset.
Students were also asked to consider new systems of make and engineering frames as well as lens technologies and embedded technology or robotics.
6 finalists were selected by eyewear experts and engineers within the industry with the finalists work displayed at the 100% Optical 2020, Excel, London.
Rebecca Armstrong - Womenswear - 1st year
Yili Cao - Womenswear (Millinery)
Annie Mackinnon - Womenswear - 1st year
Adam Frost - Womenswear - 1st year
Reiss Dendie - Footwear - 1st year
Kitfung Sun - Menswear accessories - 2nd year
- 1st prize £1000
- The winner and 5 runners up will exhibit their frames at 100% Optical 2020
Update February 2020:
The winning design was announced at the Love Eyewear Awards which took place at the Zero Sette venue, Excel, on the Saturday evening after the 100% Optical show.
'Your sight, sound and smell, my love' by Ely Yili Cao