This story focuses on the “MPeye”, a highly innovative screening device which assesses the risk of Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD) manifesting in a patient by measuring the volume of macular pigment with the use of polarised light. In doing so, this can highlight areas where patients can change their lifestyles and make more positive choices accordingly to improve their own eye health and mitigate the risks of suffering from AMD. 

The MPeye focuses on early prevention, the link between eye health and general good health, patient self responsibility and the need for the primary sector especially to start to focus much more on eye health and guiding patients choices. It is an invaluable piece of equipment both for eye health professionals and the public.

The intriguing background story behind the discoveries and journey of Dr Shelby Thomas to get this piece of equipment to market can be read here

Eye health professionals looking to learn more about this emerging detection/diagnostic, treatment, rehabilitative technology can go to the BIB Ophthalmic Instruments stand at stand number M206 at 100% Optical on 12-14 January at Excel London.

Mpeye 600x400

“I purchased the MPeye because it helped me have a conversation with my patients about protecting their eyes for the long-term and got me talking about things they could do to reduce their risk of AMD.”                                        P. Shah, Optician


Rapid assessment of AMD risk

  • Fast: Assessments take 1-3 minutes
  • Value: The MPeye can pay for itself in under a year
  • Compact: Needs less desk space than a sheet of paper
  • Repeatable: Be confident in each and every assessment
  • Easy: All staff can learn to carry out assessments and interpret results in minutes 
  • The MPeye reports a single score indicating the strength of your patients' macular pigments, a key risk factor for AMD.
  • Regular assessments help you identify people who will benefit from additional eyecare products and services.
  • Empower your patients to make lifestyle changes that maintain and improve long-term eye health.     

Healthy eyes, healthy business

We understand that while the health of your patients is your primary concern, you also need to consider the health of your business. The MPeye helps you identify patients that would benefit most from extra products and services, helping you provide a more comprehensive eye exam and boost revenue. 

People with low macular pigment density are more susceptible to damage from High Energy Visible(HEV) light.
You can help them reduce their risk of AMD by adapting their lifestyle to take this into account and in some cases even improving their natural levels of defence.

  • Quit Smoking
  • Less Sun
  • Get Fit
  • Eat Well
  • Wear a Hat
  • Wear Sunglasses
  • Protective Lenses
  • Lose Weight
  • Eye Vitamins 

Age-related Macular Degeneration

It is estimated that by 2020 there will be 196 million people suffering from AMD across the world

What is AMD?

AMD is the leading cause of vision loss among people aged 50 and older.

It is a degenerative disease characterized by the accumulation of extracellular byproducts of photoreceptor metabolism called drusen that are deposited on the retinal pigmented epithelium. It leaves sufferers unable to see faces, drive, or do detailed work including reading and writing.

AMD is far more prevalent than glaucoma or cataracts, representing 50% of all cases of sight loss. Around 5% of those over 65 years of age will develop late stage AMD, which rises to 15% by 80 years of age.

There are two types of AMD – wet and dry. Wet AMD represents about 10% of cases and is presently treated with Anti-VEGF injections, which can help slow progression. Dry AMD represents the remaining 90%, for which there is no known treatment. Both are incurable.

While there is no one known cause of AMD, research suggests that taking action when you are young can lower your chances of contracting AMD later in life.

Macular pigmentation has been linked to risk of AMD and is a modifiable risk factor. The problem is that most people do not know how well protected they are.

Prevention is the only option