We are delighted to announce our first conference speaker at 100% Optical, Professor Keith Meek.
Professor Meek is Head of Biophysics Research and school research mentor at Cardiff University and member of the Fight for Sight Speaker Network. Professor Meek will speak on the Main Stage at the show in February.
Professor Meek’s research programme is aimed at investigating the ultrastructure of connective tissues and in particular, the basis of the shape and transparency of the cornea. He has received over £6 million in external awards including three consecutive 5-year MRC (Medical Research Council) programme grants.
The benefits of attending this session:
- Refresh knowledge on the function and structure of the cornea
- Opportunity to hear about key research into corneal disease management
- Understand about the shortage of donor corneas for transplant particularly in the developing world
- Consider the implications of current developments in this field upon patients with severe corneal disorders
- Learn about progress on the efforts to produce collagen-based hydrogels to produce a functioning corneal replacement
Dr Ian Beasley, head of education at the Association of Optometrists (AOP) said: “Delegates will be fascinated by Professor Meek’s ongoing research projects which aim to understand the basis of novel therapeutic regimes for corneal pathology and his involvement in collaborative efforts to develop artificial biological corneal replacements.”
Julian Jackson, Senior Advisor to Fight for Sight said: “Eye research is an amazing world of discovery, innovation and achievement which requires constant promotion and continual funding. For far too long it has been the “best kept secret” between some charities and their supporters, patients and the research community in the UK. So, I am extremely grateful to the AOP and 100% Optical 2016 for again not only giving members of the Fight for Sight Speaker Network a platform to highlight the extraordinary contribution that eye research continues to make in the development of therapies and solutions to prevent the onset of sight loss, treat eye disease and ultimately restore sight but also the financial support we are receiving from 100% Optical 2016 which will make a significant contribution to our ongoing mission to create a future where everyone can see!”
Education bookings open for all visitors on 4th November 2015. REGISTER NOW for your free ticket and be the first to hear all the latest news about seminars.
There will be more interactive seminars on offer with even more CET points available and with a new CET cycle starting in January 2016, be sure to plan your time and start earning your required CET points for the year at 100% Optical.
- < Previous story New speaker announced! Professor John Marshall
- Next story Registration is now open for Europe's fastest growing optical event!! >