Sunday 7 February 2016 at 1pm
Main Stage, 100% Optical
“If we were all called Doctors” - a myth or the future?
On stage to discuss current and future career paths and competencies within the Optical Sector will be:
Chairman: Professor John Marshall, Past Master of The Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers -
Samantha Peters, CEO and Registrar of the General Optical Council
Ben Fletcher, MD, Boots Opticians.
Professor David Thomson, Past Head of Department at City University
The speakers will discuss their views on the future of optometric training, and career milestones in Optics, given the demands created by community service contracts, the unprecedented evolution of optical equipment and the likelihood of even greater simplified objective diagnostic ability in the future. It’s then over to the audience for discussion, challenge and shared experience from professionals across the sector.
• Are we training optometrists in the right way? Should training continue to be life science based or more medically based?
• Optometrists are currently taking extra courses to comply with new community service contracts. Would it not be better to ensure that these skills are included in the main curriculum for optometrists before graduation?
• As the scope of practice of Optometrists expands, what will be the role of Dispensing Opticians?
• What role can the GOC play in upgrading teaching modules to make sensible use of the latest equipment?
• Should GOS contract requirements for a sight examination be widened as has happened in Scotland?
• How will we cater for the public’s needs in future?
And many more questions from the floor!
The WSMC Education Trust looks forward to seeing you on Sunday 7 February at 1.00pm. Canapes and refreshments will be available.
Please book your place through 100% Optical: https://www.100percentoptical.com/register
- < Previous story 100% Optical's show highlights magazine out now!
- Next story LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION… #BLINKWINKTHINK IS BACK AT 100% OPTICAL! >